It goes without saying that we saw a lot of beautiful places, when we road tripped around South Africa. I’m not sure that I can limit this list to get 10 or 20 must see places, but I will try my best anyway.
Since it’s hard to put this in any sort of order that would make sense, I will list them in random order and you can decide how you will plan your road trip around the country to go and see them, if you choose to do so.
There is a whole other list of places that we would still like to see and we will definitely revise the list, as we explore more places. Of course, there is even more places that we should visit that we don’t even know about yet, but I will leave it up to you in let us know in the comments below.
Hindsight: South Africa Road Trip Highlights
- Have breakfast or lunch at Platform 62 in Ashton. Do some shopping afterwards.
- Spend a weekend in Clarens. Explore the town on foot.
- Take a trip with Raggy Charters to the Island of St Croix
- Spend the day in Addo Elephant Park
- Explore Hazyview in Mpumalanga for a week. Visit Blyde River Canyon, Mac Mac Falls and God’s Window. Buy home grown macadamia nuts from street vendors.
- Camp in Kruger National Park
- Visit the Cango Caves in Oudtshroon. Do the heritage tour.
- Get lost in the maze at Redberry Farm in George.
- Stay at the Coffee Shack and walk/bike/drive to see the Hole in the Wall.
- Go on a tour of The Big Hole in Kimberley then go see the flamingos on Kampher Dam.
- Buy a combo ticket and go and visit Birds of Eden and Monkeyland. Set aside another day to visit Jukani and the Plettenberg Bay Puzzle Park.
- Take the Gautrain to your destination of choice.
- Overnight in Cape Augulhas and visit the Southern Most Tip of Africa. Then stop in Napier and see how stained glass lamps are put together.
- Climb to the top of the tallest steel lighthouse in Africa at Slangkop.
- Set aside a week and go explore the West Coast. Have fish and chips in Saldanha then go see the wild flowers bloom near Namaqualand.
- Visit the Nelson Mandela Capture site in Howick, then stop off for chocolate at Florentines before heading out of town to see Howick Falls.
- Sail through the Knysna Heads with Ocean Odyssey and do some whale watching
- Collect shells in front of Seal Point lighthouse in Cape St Francis
- Cross the Storms River bridge in Tsitsikamma National Park
- Take a cable car to the top of Table Mountain and walk to Maclear’s Beacon
Yes, I know I didn’t stick to South African road trip specific stuff but I felt there was a need to choose just 20 awesome things and I gathered content from everything we’ve done so far. Honestly, it was nearly impossible to choose 20…and if you asked me to write this post again next week, the list would look completely different. But such is the awesomeness of extensive road tripping through our gorgeous country.
If I had the energy, I would turn it into a list of 50 must see places but that might make it a bit TL:DR and then it would be a waste of time.
What do you think should be added to our list for our next road trip? I know we haven’t done Limpopo and the North West yet, but we are hoping to get hold of a 4×4 so that we can cross the border and explore Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia in the same trip.
Please leave your tips in the comments box below :). Also, you’re welcome to share this post with anyone you feel may benefit from our travels.